Sunday, July 20, 2014

End of an Mural...

Back in October 2007, Richard and I tiled our guest bathroom while our house was still being finished.  Because of our Southwestern look, we had a photograph that Pa took at Hovenweep National Park, Utah, made into a tile mural and put it over the bathtub.  This is what it looked like.
 
 
 
 
 
Despite being sealed, over the years, the tile photo has degraded, due to water damage from the shower.  Our neighbor has touched it up (she's a painter) and afterwards, I sealed it again. However, despite her excellent painting on several occasions, the picture has deteriorated even more.  I finally made the decision to peel it off the wall.
 
It didn't take much.  A couple hours work with a nail file, a scratch pad and water, and the Hovenweep mural is no more.  Maybe one day I can replace it with a better tile photo application process.  
 
The smaller photo tiles I have scattered on the other walls are intact and still look great.    

No comments: